A Sick Baby and Lots of Germs
Managing Kaitlyn's heart symptoms has become a full time job. Feeding her takes all day. She would much rather sleep. Four weeks ago before we saw any negative effects from her heart defect she was eating 24oz/24hrs. Over the last weeks it has decreased and she is only eating approx. 16oz/24hrs. On top of it all she has the "crud" that has been going around. Wednesday we went in for a chest x-ray to rule out pneumonia. That came back good but they did see something "viral" on the x-ray. They tested her for RSV and that came back negative. But there is still something nasty going on and its kicking her buns. Which is making her even more tired and less hungry. Arghhhhhh!
To get her healthy and keep her healthy for surgery she will now rarely leave the house. Its impossible to keep her in a bubble but I'm going to try. We have two little boys at home who are constantly bringing home germs. Not to mention my husbands place of employment where there are 1000 + employees and inmates (he's an employee :)) Unfortunately Kaitlyn's visitors will be kept to a minimum and there will be hand sanitizer for all. I'm going extreme!
You would never know how sick she is by looking at these recent pictures. Here are some of her many beautiful faces...
We went to Detroit so we can go to Ann Arbor
This Thursday we went to DMC Children's Hospital in Detroit (ranked 27th in the nation) for a pre surgery consultation for Kaitlyn's upcoming heart surgery. We have been battling with our insurance company since before Kaitlyn was born because we want her surgery performed at MOTTS Hospital at the University of Michigan (4th in the nation), which is "out of network" according to Priority Health (PH). PH had dug their heels in and wouldn't budge until recently. A couple weeks ago we were told we would be granted a 2nd opinion consultation appointment at MOTTS. Finally a small step in the right direction. There only stipulation was that we visit DMC Children's Hospital first. Ugh!! We went to appease the insurance company. Long story short she had another echo and it was decided that they want to do surgery sooner then we had thought. They wanted to do it in November, I convinced them to wait until December. Surgery is scheduled for December 2nd!!!!!!!!!!!!
We have not given up on MOTTS. Hopefully we will have an appointment scheduled to go there by Monday. Time is running out but I'm convinced that what ever is meant to be will happen. I'm still sure that MOTTS in Ann Arbor is the right choice, and I will continue fighting as long as I can.